Welcome to Virginia's Rat Page
Pet Rats on the Web
If you're stuck in a frame
If you know where these pages are now, please tell me!
- Ask Otto
- Health Issues
- International News
- Kid's Korner
- African Rats - The Deadly Illness by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Arthritis in Rats, A Remedy? by Sarah Shuman
- Cancer in Rats by Darrell E. Ward - Copper deficiency and colon cancer
- Care of Older Paralyzed Rats by Kaleigh Hessel
- Charles River Laboratories Technical Documents - haven't got all these indexed yet, but couldn't leave them out!
- Choking by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Common Diseases - The Laboratory Rat, Chapter 7 in PDF format
- Drug Chart by Mary Ann Isaksen and Daryl Mabley, D.V.M.
- Dwarf Rats by A. Gangi
- An Effective Arthritis Remedy? by Sarah Shuman
- Gentamicin and Tylan by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Getting Medications into Your Rat by Lorelei Whitney
- Giving Tylan by Charlene Crain
- Herbal Help for Rat Respiratory Problems by Flora Johnson Skelly
- Homeopathy and Rats
- Infectious Diseases of Mice and Rats by Stephen W. Barthold, D.V.M., Ph.D.
- Megacolon In Rats & Other Small Animals by A. Gangi
- Mites: A Very Unusual Case by Th. P.M. van Noort, Veterinarian, The Netherlands
- Mites, Lice and Fleas by The New South Wales Fancy Rat and Mouse Club
- The Mycoplasma pulmonis E-Letter, Vol. 1 by Lydia Peirce-Dougherty and Michael P. Dougherty
- Mycoplasmosis in the Pet Rat by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Nursing Care by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Nursing Care by The New South Wales Fancy Rat and Mouse Club
- Orange Juice, D-Limonene, and Cancer in Male Rats by Brian Lee
- Pet Poison Prevention Tips by Jill A. Richardson, DVM
- Rat Bacterial Diseases
- Rat Ear Hematoma by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Rat Mycoplasma Pulmonis Fact Sheet
- Rat Respiratory Disease: The Use of Albuterol Treatments by Kaleigh Hessel
- Red Tears in Rats by Holly Frisby, D.V.M.
- Respiratory Disease in Rats by Debbie Ducommun
- Respiratory Disease in Rats and Mice by Debbie Ducommun
- Respiratory Infections in Pet Rats by The New South Wales Fancy Rat and Mouse Club
- Respiratory Infections in Pet Rats by Ann Storey MSc, FIBMS
- A Review of the Cilia-Associated Respiratory Bacillus by Diane C. Cundiff, Cynthia Besch-Williford, Lela K. Riley
Department of Veterinary Pathology, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- A Review of Pasteurella pneumotropica by Charles River Laboratories
- The Right To Live by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Sarcoptic Mites, Rare Ear Infections, Unusual
Abcess and a Rat First Aid Kit by Lisa Jenny
- Skin Abscesses in Small Rodentsby Jan McArthur, RVT
- SDA Virus - Sialodacryoadentitis Virus in Pet Rats by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Sendai Virus: Not Just a Mouse Disease by Jan McArthur, RVN
- Serologic Testing to Monitor for Viral and Mycoplasmal Infection by Charles River Laboratories
- Serologic Testing of Rodents for Viral Infections: Interpretation of Results by Charles River Laboratories
- Skin Problems by Debbie Ducommun
- To Spay...Or Not To Spay
by Debbie Ducommun and Mary Ann Isaksen
- The Great Spay Debate by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Spaying Helps Prevent Tumors by Debbie Ducommun
- Surgery in Rats by Debbie Ducommun
- Tamoxifen Can Prevent and Treat Tumors by Debbie Ducommun
- Tumor Removal and Baytril by Mary Ann Isaksen
- Tumors in Rats by Debbie Ducommun
- Tumor Study by Kaleigh Hessel
- Tyzzer's disease: An update of current information by Lela K. Riley, Craig L. Franklin,
Reuel R. Hook, Jr. and Cynthia Besch-Williford Department of Veterinary Pathology University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- Ulcerative Pododermatitis... aka Bumblefoot & Squeaky by Jan McArthur, RVN
- Weakness in Older Rats: A Paralysis Primer by Kathy Barrett
- What's Bugging Your Rats and Mice? by Jan McArthur, RVN
- The Worms Crawl In, The Worms Crawl Out by Jan McArthur, RVN
- Worms, Worms, Worms by The New South Wales Fancy Rat and Mouse Club
- Product Reviews
- Q & A
- Breeding, Ulcerative Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot), Tumors, More Tumors.
- Heart Failure, Mouse Sexing/Life Span, Killer Mother Mouse, Two New Rat Moms
- Jittery Rats, Torn Toenail, Breeding Rats, Ear Biting/Urine Marking, Picky Eater
- Intelligence, Longevity, Bloody Mouse Eyes, Non-Breeding Mice, Mouse Pregnancy
- Introductions, Breeding The Blues, Toilet Training, Special Requirements, Swollen Leg
- Membership, English/American, Dumbo Rats, Show Breeders, Entry Questions, Show Boxes
- Messy Boy, Purchasing, Litter Sources
- Messy Mice, Tumors, Head Tilt
- Mouse Catcher, Rattie Hiccups, Vet Visits, Genetics Related?, Barfly Ratties, Parvosol
- Mouse Murder, Rat Lice, Buying your first Pet Rat
- Neuter Cost, Neck Sores, Breeding, and Nail Clipping
- Neutering, African rats
- Pain and Suffering, Rat Colors, Vaginal Bleeding
- Pregnancy Signs, Socializing/Parasites, Non-Vomiting Rats, Sneezing Rat
- Rat Tails, Home cleaners, Bathing rats.
- Rattie Time, Irritated Skin, Choking, Mouse Hair Loss, Sneezy from Pine?
- Salmonella, Mouse Illness/Sterility, Fat Rat
- Seek Veterinary Advice, Biting Rat, Pregnant Rat, Hairless Breeding Problems
- Standards Changed, Clipping Rat Nails, Handling Rats
- Sterility, Parental Concerns, Aquarium Silicone Caulking, Sarcoptes Mites
- Thieving Rats?, Rattie Rashes, Kissy Rats
- Vaccines, Toothless, Socializing, Mouse Standards
- Zithromax and Sick Rats, Shy Rats, Rat Treats/Diet
- Rat Resume
- Rat Tales
- Rattus Biologicus
- The Giant Pouched Rat List
- The Manxrat List
- Mick's Pet Rats Email List
- CanadaRodents - This list is for
Canadian owners of pet rodents. Topics include breeds and breeding, the Alberta Rat Ban, what
to look for in a rodent-friendly vet, finding a breeder, care advice, and general chat about rats,
gerbils, mice, guinea pigs, hamsters, duprasi, degu, and other small pets. No talk of using rodents
as feeders will be tolerated. This is a PETS ONLY list.
- R.A.T. Belgium's Rat Email List
- "The" Rat List" - The rat list is an email list administrated by James Kittock. It is probaly the oldest and
largest rat email list on the web. You can
view the Ratlist Archives and decide
if you would like to join. Follow this link for
information on joining. There
are also a few informal rules of conduct for the list. The rat
list has many people world wide participating, and it is a great source for information on
rats. Questions get answered, suppliers get found, cute stories get told, and that's just
for starters. There's a secret pal program.
The ratlist even has its own
and a page of "
Who I am" information forms which were posted by various list members.
- The "CybeRat Mini-List" based in Britain
Do you have a question, or need advice? James Kittock has organized two special email
lists to provide a source of advice and information for rat owners. There is no need to
subscribe to these to lists. Simply send your question to the appropriate address, and
someone will get back to you with an answer.
First, please check to see if your question is answered on the
Quick Answers from Rat-Help and Rat-Info Page
NEW!!! Search the rathelp
and ratinfo archives.
If you need advice for a sick or injured rat, email as much information as possible to
. Please note that
this list is not, nor does it claim to be, a substitute for veterinarian advice and treatment.
Other questions regarding rats shoud be sent to
- Critters The rat section.
- Rat & Mouse Gazette the magazine of the Rat and Mouse Club of America
- Squeak! the online magazine for rats and their humans
- Twitches the magazine
of The New South Wales Fancy Rat and Mouse Club
- Bellaratta's Nest "Rat-Tees" T-Shirts
- Black Death European Tour T-Shirt.
- Cell-Sorb PlusTM bedding.
- Christmas Mouse - Annalee Handmade Dolls
- The Concord MouseTrap sells Wee Forest Folk® figurines.
- Exclusively Rats
- Fern Manufacturing makes great rat cages.
- The Ferret Store - lost of cages, equipment and supplies that are great for rats, too.
- Hagen makes good cages, Nutri-Blocks, and other supplies. Check
out their new product "Sox for small animals" - an odor & stain remover that can even be used on fur. There
is a material safety data sheet for it on their site, too.
- Hammocks in the UK!
- Harlan Teklad - lab blocks and bedding
- House Mouse makes cards, mugs, magnets, etc.
- International Absorbents Inc. - Makes CareFRESH©,
CatWorks© and ECOFreshTM
- Martin's Cages - wire floors need to be covered.
- Mountain Meadows Pet
makes Critter Country
- Natural Factors makes a berry flavored alcohol free echinacea that many rats like
- Oh Rats Graphics has Rat Cartoons on Sportswear
- Pet Nouveau
- Pet Quarters - Hagen cages, hammocks, water bottles, etc.
- RMCA Merchandise
- The Raggyrat Company makes soft rat toys
- Rat & Mouse Sympathy Cards
- The Rat-alog
- The Rattie Refuge -
All kinds of hammocks
- Wodent Wheels by Transoniq
- Yesterday's News Cat Litter
Companion Guide to Infectious Diseases of Mice and Rats
If you have comments, or an article, FAQ, or other link you would like to
see included here, please contact me at
PROUD TO BE CANADIAN
©Virginia Simpson, 1997 - 2001